Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I'm told my dance moves will get me a husband ;)


Hi guys! :)                                                                       

Hello! I am still alive, but because Columbus isn't, I couldn't email you yesterday--the library was closed. Interesting thing about this place is that the libraries here are CRAZY busy. It's because everyone needs to use the computers and no one has them. When we walked up today there was a huge line to get in. I was standing next to a lady with a nice fleece jacket with elk and trees on it that looked straight from the west (our part of the woods in CO :) ), I told her that I liked her jacket. She then got very cold and rude and started pretty much yelling at me to not try to convert her or anyone else and asked what business we had here at the library. I smiled and kindly explained to her that we were her to write our families that we only can email once a week......and that I just wanted to compliment her on the jacket cause I was from CO and it looked like it was from out west. You could tell my response took her aback, she then sweetened up a little and told me about where she got it, and we had a nice conversation. New Yorkers, very stern upfront but with soft big hearts :)

It's incredible. As we travel around our area there is a dramatic difference in the cleanliness and wealth of different areas, BUT no matter the area, the types of cars and the number of TV dishes don't change ha-ha. I can't tell you how many times we have walked into tiny Latino apts with HUGE TVs. And no matter the area, people don't really have computers. I guess it is because everyone here is struggling to pay rent cause it is SO expensive. People are slaves to their rent (and the buying of big screen TVs doesn't help.

It is amazing the burdens people carry around here. One of our investigators tearfully explained to us how she is barely able to pay for here rent. As she was telling me this and my heart became really heavy. I looked around the room in which she lived with her 3 children (ages 13, 6 and 2); the room is the size of one of our bathrooms at home with one bunk bed. She rents this room from another family that lives in the rest of the apartment, and I am pretty sure there is a 3rd family living in the apt too. She tearfully told us about how hard it is to be doing it all by herself (There is no father in the picture, which sadly, around here, is usually the case). We have another investigator who was explaining that he didn't want to get baptized cause he wants to go back to Mexico, leave his family, the struggling business and everything to find some tranquility and he might be leaving anytime....He was telling us this all while his wife and son were right there. As we hear the struggles of these people I often find myself with a heavy heart wondering why in the world was I sent here? What can I do? All I have been given in my life is opportunity and love! How grateful I am for it (more than ever) but I often think what do I have to give? I then am reminded of what I discovered as I was giving my farewell talk. Yes, I am a 21 year old gringa (white girl) from Highlands Ranch CO who barely speaks Spanish. I haven't seen much of the world, I have never been married, never had kids, and have never even had to struggle to pay rent or feed myself. BUT I do have a testimony of Jesus Christ. I know that He lives; I know that this is His church; I know the Book of Mormon is true and I am continually striving to deepen this testimony. I do have the power and authority of a missionary to invite people to come unto Christ and to partake in the joyous fruits of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I so know that the Gospel is real and that it heals and strengthen families for it has healed and strengthened mine. I know families are forever and I know that God loves the people I come in contact with and teach. And on more than one occasion I have felt the spirit work through me to touch one of His children. I do not know how to solve these problems, but I know that He does and that He has called me to be His emissary to reach His children. He has called me to be a "window to heaven" for His children, I can be worthy of His spirit and magnify this calling...and that is what I am trying to do.

I realize this is a pretty heavy letter, on a lighter note we had the "Dia de Espanidad" this week in the ward. It was INCREDIBLE. Each of the countries in the ward get together and prepare food and a dance to represent their nation. I have never seen so much food in my life!! They asked us missionaries to do a dance representing America. It was a pretty awesome dance that we through together right before. The bishop’s daughter is tagging us in it on facebook, so you will get to see it :) anyway there is a part that I have a "solo" and I do the sprinkler. It was a last minute decision but a hit! They LOVED it. I am learning the way to a Latinos heart is dancing. For the first time, members were actually talking to me (they usually just talked to Sis Simplicio because I am new and know little Spanish). One older sister told me that I will be able to find myself a spouse when I get home because I can dance. Phew! At least I know that if all else fails, at least my sprinkler move can get me a husband ;) ha-ha.

Love you and miss you and take care!!

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment