Monday, February 25, 2013

Thankfully smiles translate into all languages :)


Hello family!

It sure does look like you all got your own snow storm! I hope you enjoyed the snow day!

Also, I can't believe it really is that time of year to hear from BYU, crazy to think I will be going to school at the same time as all of those kids! Also, I can't believe Seth Parker is going to the Y! I guess he will be retiring his red for a few years ha-ha

Well things in Flushing are coming along. This morning we ran around a park for our morning exercise (aka, it was a concrete slab, but heck that is what you get in NY ha-ha), and we ran around a big group of Chinese people doing their morning Tai Chi, I sure do love it here :). We have a street sweep each Saturday by the 7 train station. Street sweeps are all about handing out materials and finding people to teach. In Corona, everyone spoke Spanish. In flushing, hardly anyone does. It is quite the adventure to strive to grab someone's attention long enough to find out what language they speak, and grab the appropriate pamphlet, and find a missionary to bear testimony in the appropriate language. It can be insanity but thankfully smiles translate into all languages and we have a lot of fun doing it.

Training is also coming along. I LOVE Sis Powell and I'm grateful for her willingness to dive into the work. Seriously, the best thing a new missionary can have is a willingness to TRY. Fearlessing is hard and sometimes awkward, trying to participate in a lesson in a new language is intimidating, and some of the food is kind of funky, but it all is so much better when we trust in the Lord and TRY. I am grateful to get to train her, and am humbled that the Lord sees a trainer in me (I still am in shock, I still feel so new at all of this!). I don't have to do it alone, Heaven is always there and willing to help. And he really is carrying us.

So cool to hear about all the new missions! Our first wave young missionaries came this past week (It was so fun to see Maren Hale and Kylee Lingenbrink!) Crazy all of the changes that are happening!

You asked about my favorite food I have eaten here.....such a hard question. The food here is INCREDIBLE! Probably the giant ice cream crapes, the empanadas (Colombia), tostones (DR), or ceviche (Ecuador). I could never decide!
 
Sorry this is so short. I love and miss you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment