Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Ne Hou! ---However you say hello in Chinese :)


 First of all, Stephen, I am SO excited about your mission call and SO grateful that I was able to hear about it the next day. I was still feeling crummy, but that news kept me beaming all day, I am sooo excited for you! There aren't too many argentines here, but their soccer jerseys are everywhere (Learn the name MESSI and you will be good!) Also, Hispanics like to make fun of each other’s accents and Spaniards and Argentines get the brunt of it...so yes, I may be teasing you for your "Como se 'Sh'ama" s ha-ha ;). I am also glad you will be somewhere warm......tonight it is supposed to feel like -16 degrees here!


Oh and where I am serving. I am now in the beautiful city of Flushing, Queens, Just another couple stops down on the 7 train from my last area. My new area is on the other side of the Mets Stadium and Flushing Meadows Park from where I was before. I guess I just always underestimated how "Chino" this area was, until we got to the mall food court and ALL of the stores were Chinese, Korean, or Taiwanese. It is really incredible. We did a street sweep on Flushing Main Street on Saturday, trying to spread the word about the free English classes that we teach, and I felt like we were in Taiwan (not that I would know what that would feel like ha-ha). There are a lot of Hispanics here, and a lot of work to do, we just need to look for them. We would shout "Clases de Ingles, Gratis" into the crowds of people (almost entirely Asian) and one by one some Hispanic would hear our cry and make their way over to us to get the information. In some ways I feel like I am serving somewhere in Asia, Spanish speaking ha-ha, and I LOVE IT!!! Flushing is supposed to be one of the, if not the, most diverse neighborhood in queens, the most diverse city in the world! We had English class this past week and we had 2 men from Uzbechestan (sp?). And they hardly speak any English (Uzbech is their language). Quite the adventure trying to teach certain words.


My new companion is Sister Reid and I adore here. We actually became quick friends and running buddies while we were all stranded at President's during hurricane Sandy. Yes, I have a running buddy! And she is as crazy as I am and enjoys freezing winter runs in the morning...at least she is willing :). She is a Tennis player and Business Student at Southern Virginia University and is only a transfer ahead of me in the mission. We have a lot of fun and many adventures as we try to figure things out and learn Spanish together. She is an incredible missionary and I feel lucky to serve with her :). Also, Elder Carlson (from my MTC district), is in my new district! It’s fun to serve with him again.

 
This week has been a week of miracles large and small. I can finally eat and work full days again!! (Out of nowhere I woke up on Saturday with an appetite and didn't feel sick after eating!) Also, we can feel the spirit work through us and people being have been very receptive to us. We don't have hardly any investigators yet, but we can feel the spirit guiding our work. We have worked very hard, and have tracted almost every night till we collapse in our chairs at 9pm. I know the Lord's blessings are with us and that the miracles will continue to unfold. Thank you for your prayers and love, I sure feel them carrying me through!!

 
I love and miss you all, have an awesome week, and look in the mail, I have letters coming your way (including you chipper!)


Love,
Megan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment