Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Another cold wonderful week in Flushing


Feb. 5, 2013

Another cold wonderful week here in Flushing. And I am still with my same companion, so no crazy changes to update you on this week ha-ha.

One of the many miracles of the week: The Flushing chapel has a beautiful and barely touched organ. I had the thought this past week that I should try to play the organ instead of the piano as I accompanied the ward. So I brushed away the cobwebs from high school, and started to play a little to practice while all of us missionaries were waiting to go somewhere. It was a miracle how much I remembered. I decided to give it a go yesterday in Sacrament meeting. I have never been particularly good at sight reading, and I thought I was crazy for trying to sight read, while the congregation was singing, on the organ.....but I was blessed and the Lord able to do it. Also many of the branch members never had the privilege of singing with an organ before and they really enjoyed it and were very grateful. The spirit of the whole meeting was different. I am so grateful that I took the time and learned how to play the organ and that I had the courage to do it, even though I didn't know how it would work out. I have never felt particularly "good" at hymn playing, but then again I have never felt particularly "good" at speaking Spanish, finding families, teaching from PMG. This week has been hard because I am realizing that it doesn't matter. I think so OFTEN we refuse to give of our talents, skills or of ourselves because we are scared that they aren't at the mark that WE want them to be. It is so funny how we (at least I) get so caught up in how good I am at something, when the Lord just asks for me to trust Him and try, and seems perfectly comfortable in trusting His work to me.

I had my interview with President this week. It was incredible and exactly what I needed, it also was hard to hear. The night before, in my personal prayers, I had the prompting to pray to receive the correction and even chastisement if you will that I needed in my interview with president. I just have been really stressed and kind of bogged down with everything lately, and I knew something needed to change. When I prayed for it, it startled me, because, my first impression was, "I don't want that!" But I trusted and went with it. I got into my interview with president, and it was exactly what I needed, and exactly what I prayed for ha-ha. Essentially, he asked me some really hard questions, like, "Are you comfortable with yourself?" and counseled me that I was being way too hard on myself. He shared some scriptures that I had always read, but never applied like he described it. I learned that we often doubt ourselves, and get frustrated with our weaknesses, sins and mistakes when we have a loving Heavenly Father who is perfectly familiar and understanding of these weaknesses (in fact his son Jesus Christ suffered and died for them) and He is perfectly comfortable loving us and trusting us with His work. It is not possible to love, trust in and be comfortable in the presence of God, without first loving, trusting and being comfortable with ourselves. I am very grateful for a loving mission President who guides and counsels by revelation. In some ways, a hard doctrine to grasp--at least for a person with a perfectionist tendency like myself. I am so grateful also for a loving Savior who has provided a way for me to make such changes.

I love you all! And Allie keep up the good work! Oh and Stephen, GET ON THE VISA STUFF!!!! I can't tell you how many missionaries had to wait extra WEEKS at the MTC because of delayed Visas. You don't want that, and I am grateful I am stateside and don't have do deal with it :) haha.

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment