Monday, March 11, 2013

We had an amazing experience in Rockaways last week


Hi Family!!

How are you all? :)

Things are finally warming up a little bit here in NY. One day I only needed a light jacket! It was all quickly followed by another freezing snow storm......oh the joys of spring.

We had an amazing experience in the Rockaways last week that I ran out of time to mention last time. The Rockaway community has an annual St Patrick’s day parade, and they invited the Mormon Helping Hands to be apart of it. It was all kind of last minute, but all of us missionaries traveled down there again. Instead on grungy jeans and bandanas, we were wearing our proselyting clothes (Elders in Suits, and us sisters in dresses). We still wore our bright yellow jerseys and marched down the street in a big horde of yellow. It is hard to describe the emotions I felt as we walked down the same streets we worked on only 4 months ago. This time was much different. This time the gutters and sidewalks were full of celebrating and happy people instead of the toxic insulation and the remains of people’s lives. Kids were playing in the streets; people seemed to be living more normal lives. It was so good to see so many familiar faces, standing on their own two feet, full of hope and moving forward. Our reception as we walked down the street was overwhelming. I was privileged to walk on the side of the group and watch as people reached out their hands and gave out heartfelt and tearful thank-yous. It was an experience I will never forget, and it was all in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ. That area is such sacred ground for me for the changes it has wrought within me and the people I have loved. It meant a lot to return and see it functioning again.

There was a part of the parade that the people were cheering "Mormons! Mormons! Mormons!!" I turned to my new companion and assured her that this isn't how we missionaries are usually received in this city ha-ha.

Another miracle of the week Erady came to church! Erady is one of our investigators from the Dominican Republic. She was found by the sisters before me and went to church with them, but she didn't enjoy her experience. Her little boy (Eriel) is a happy ball of energy and doesn't let her leave his site and so the first 2 times she came, she spent either battling him or in Nursery with Him. She was hesitant about returning. We have been praying for a while that she would come and that she would enjoy her experience. Yesterday she came! But it doesn't stop there. After I played the organ for the first part of the meeting, I returned to the audience to sit with her, Eriel and my companion. I remember thinking that we were sitting next to a ticking time bomb ha-ha. I prayed so hard that he would stay calm and let Erady go to the classes. And HE DID!!!! When she dropped him off, he looked at her and said, "Okay bye mommy." She loved and participated the entire time at church. It was nothing short of a wonderful and simple miracle! He answers prayers and provides away. We can trust in that, ALWAYS.

Imagine Dragons?? I went to one of their concerts on top of a parking garage in Provo and we had a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy it especially at Red Rocks!!! (You know you are in the middle of your mission when your parents start buying tickets to the bands you like!!!! ha-ha)

I love you and miss you! And hope you are all doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment