Monday, April 22, 2013

I can't think of anything better that I could be doing right now than serving a mission.


Hello Family!!                                                                         April 22,13

Wow what a week! 1st the Boston Bombing. It's hard to be in NYC and not here about these things (even in an area where no one speaks any English). How tragic and sick. My companions and I were getting gyros and it was all over the TV, pretty surreal. But it made me that much more motivated to keep this work moving. For truly only through Christ can such things be made whole and this world needs His gospel and it was comforting to realize that there really isn't anything better that I could be doing right now.

Last Monday was AMAZING :). We had a zone activity and played ultimate frisbee. First time I had touched a frisbee in months. I was so happy and it felt so good to run around in the sun. I am grateful for opportunities to still do that, it put me in a good mood for the rest of the week. Then later, we had our area dedicated for the hastening of the work by our district leader. As we were going out to proselyte I had the thought to go visit one of our investigators. We knocked on her door, and there wasn't an answer, but we found stairs right near the door that went straight to the roof. And there weren't any "keep out" signs. We climbed and the view was breathtaking. We could see all of flushing, queens and Brooklyn and the Manhattan skyline. All right at sunset. It was a miracle because we were trying to think of a proper place to have such a dedication. I had said a prayer that morning to find one, and the Lord led us to one. We called the Elders, they were nearby, and by the power of the restored priesthood of God, dedicated our area. It was a beautiful blessing, fitting for the setting. And we all felt a very sacred spirit and presence. It was amazing to offer a greater perspective of 1st where we are, in the mazes of concrete towers, we easily forget about that other part of the city and 2nd of the work we are doing here. I know He lives and is leading and guiding us. It truly elevated my perspective.

I have learned (again) this week about the power of The Book of Mormon. One of our investigators, Juan Carlos, experienced a tragedy in his family this past week. His Aunt died of Cancer on Tuesday. In his struggle, he realized he didn't know what happens after birth, and his mind was worried. He turned to The Book of Mormon to see what it says about death and was led to Alma 40. In this chapter, the prophet Alma teaches His son what an Angel had revealed to him about the resurrection of the dead. His troubled heart was calmed, and the words brought him a lot of comfort. He told us about his aunt's death at the beginning of our lesson with Him. We all felt we needed to go to Alma 40, and just as I was about to direct the group to go there, He told all of us that he wanted to show us what he found in Alma 40! So often I feel we get caught up in needing to prove the Book of Mormon to be true, and the longer I am here, the more I realize it stands on its own. It is true and I invite anyone reading this to read it and know it for yourself.

I love you all! Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment